Thursday, July 17, 2014

Indus Valley Civilization

Indus Valley Civilization 
(2500 BC • 1500 BC) 

From the beginning of the 4th millennium BC, the individuality of the early village cultures began to be
replaced by a more homogenous style of existence. By the middle of the 3rd millennium, a uniform culture
had developed at settlements spread across nearly 500,000 square miles, including parts of Punjab, Uttar
Pradesh, Gujarat, Baluchistan, Sindh and the Makran coast. It was a highly developed civilization and
derived its name from the main river of that region— Indus.The cities were far more advanced than their
counterparts in prehistoric Egypt, Mesopotamia or anywhere else in Western Asia.



Important Discoveries 

Year         Site Discovered by

192I       Harappa Dayaram Sahni

I922       Mohenjodaro R. D. Banerjee

I927       Sutkagendor R. L. Staine

I93I       Chanhudaro N. G. Majumdar

1953      Rangpur M. Vats

I953       Kalibangan A. Ghosh

[955-56  Ropar Y. D. Sharma

I957         Lothal S. R. Rao

1972-75  Surkotada .I. Joshi

1973-74   Banwali R. S. Bisht


No comments: